All is meaningless (1:1-2)
- who is the Preacher?
- life has no value
Striving for nothing (1:3-11)
- no net profit from our work
- life is tiresome repetition
- life is an endless repeat
Big Idea of the Message: Nothing in the physical world can give meaning to our lives.
Application Point: Rather than looking to trends and fads to give our lives meaning, we should seek to find our purpose in Jesus.
Questions to Ponder :
- What is one thing that stood out to you from this week’s message?
- Are you a pessimist—or maybe you call yourself a “realist”?
- What do you think of the book of Ecclesiastes?
- What does the Preacher mean by saying that everything is meaningless (v. 2)?
- Have you ever seen a trend come back in popularity? Was the Preacher right when he said, “There is nothing new under the sun” (v. 9)? What about more serious things? Can new sins be invented? New sorrows or suffering?
- Have you ever had existential questions, like questions of meaning, purpose, or what life is about? Why are they important?