Chasing after wisdom (1:12-18)
- the hopeless pursuit of wisdom
- work has not eternal value
- both wisdom and folly are useless
Wisdom cannot save us (3:16-22)
- God judges all people
- God determines life and death indiscriminately
Wisdom cannot extend life (9:11-12)
- life happens beyond our control
- death comes suddenly
Big Idea of the Message: Wisdom cannot give us the perfect life because life is random.
Application Point: Rather than trusting in wisdom to guide us we should trust in God to lead us through each day as it happens.
Questions to Ponder :
- What is one thing that stood out to you from this week’s message?
- Do we obsess over formulas to give success? What is an example of a popular formula for success in our culture?
- Have you ever been the naive freshman? What about the jaded senior?
- Does life seem complex, random, and unjust? In what ways?
- If life is random and unjust and we can’t control it through formulas, what do we do?